This post may contain affiliate links. Should you decide to make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
What is English in Nature all about?
We are just getting started but here are 36 of the most fun activties you can do while practicing English in Nature.
Many of these activities are personal favorites of mine that I’d been teaching for years, before I’d even heard of the concept of CLIL (short for “content and language integrated learning”). Most are workshops I’ve taught in both Engilsh and German to speakers of either language. All are adapted to be suited to English-language learners and can be matched to the age and proficiency levels of any learners.
Get free sample activities
PLEASE NOTE: once you become a subscriber, you’ll receive updates as to when each of these activities becomes available.
As you’ll see in the samples, the structure of the lessons and some of the methods are quite different to those designed for native speakers, even where the content may be essentially the same. There are also important differences between this kind of lesson and conventional language lessons.
- Nature Journal Writing
- Habitat-Mapping & Orienteering
- Nature Shadow Theater: Nature Folk & Fairy Tales
- Treasure Hunt & The Art of Tracking
- 12 Wild Herbs to Identify and Use
- Ecosystem Pond & Stream
- Ecosystem Woodlands & Meadows
- Bees, Butterflies & Other Pollinators
- Creatures of the Night: Bats, Rats, Cats, Moths & Owls
- By Land, By Water: Amphibious Adaptations
- Candle-Making with Beeswax
- Weaving with Willow
- Tree-Free Paper-Making
- Felting with Wool and Other Fibers
- Winter Tree ID & Bud Pushing
- Oh Deer! Natural Jewelry Workshop
- Herbarium: Build A Plant-Press Workshop
- Composting: How to Make Farmer’s Gold
- Starting a Teaching Garden
- Insect Hotel Workshop
- Bird Feeder Workshop
- Bat Box Workshop
- Wild Foods Workshop
- Fire Baker Workshop
- Wacky Woodland Olympics
- The Tiny Seed & The Great Nut (Dispersal)
- Inside Flowers
- Catching Bugs & Making Wishes
- A Year in the Life of a Frog
- Migration Headaches & Nest Building
- Animal Homes: Tireless, Genious Builders
- Nature’s Remedies: Home-made Health- & Homecare
- The Writer’s Quill & Other Uses of a Feather
- Making Earth Art Using Nature’s Palette
- Insect Expedition: Meeting Earth’s Most Numerous Creatures
- Upcycling, Not Downcycling, for Young Engineers